Monday, September 27, 2010

Wine Tasting at Duck Walk




On Saturday I went to Duck Walk Vineyards in Southhampton, Long Island for a wine tasting. I've always enjoyed drinking a glass of Chardonnay, so I was looking forward to taste what they had to offer.

I tried five different wines and though a Chardonnay was in the mix, the 2008 Aphrodite is officially my new favortie wine.



Before I could even taste this goodness, the aromatic smell of the Aphrodite drew me in. This wine has a fruity pleasant taste thanks to the honeysuckle, apricot, peach and hint of spice. It is recommended to serve with dessert. I recommend to drink it anytime.

The other four wines were


2007 Chardonnay: Made with hints of pear, apple and vanilla. Great with seafood or chicken.


Windmill White: This wine displays hints of honey, pear and wildflower. Perfect alongside hor d'oeuvres, seafood, salad, and pasta.



Windmill Blush: Made with strawberry and rasberry fruit flavors. It's Long Island's challenge to White Zinfandel and can be eaten with barbecue foods, chicken, fish, and picnic foods.


Gatsby Red: A semi sweet blend of several red grape varieties along with plum, cherry, and spice flavors.


These latter four wines were not pleasing at all to my palate. They fit the defintion of "dry." To those of you that may not be accustomed to the wine terminology, just know that the first four wines can also be described as BITTER!

Overall, my wine tasting experience was enjoyable. I was just dissapointed that I could not get close to the actual grape vineyards.

Before the wine tasting, Brad, the tourguide, said that this site had been growing grapes since 1987. After a couple of different owners Dr. Herodotus “Dan” Damianos and his son Alexander bought the 30-acre vineyard in 1994 and renamed it Duck Walk. This vineyard grows five different grapes including Merlot, Chardonnay and the unique Pinot Meunier. Duck walk produces about 30,000 cases of wine a year. Now thats a lot of wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment