Tuesday, June 22, 2010

McDonald's Gospelfest 2010



Over the weekend I had backstage access to this year's McDonald's Gospelfest held in Newark, New Jersey. While backstage I got a chance to interview singer Regina Belle and meet Newark Mayor Cory Booker.

However, the real blessing for me came after I heard Bishop TD Jakes' message. He spoke on pursuing your purpose. He warned that many of us are frustrated with our lives because we have yet to pursue our purpose. While speaking to those that are frustrated, he said "your destiny is not tied to your history, its tied to what you got left."

Jakes encouraged the audience to use what's already in our possession to get what we want. Simply put "Work it, work it, work it." He said that although our circumstances may have not changed, our mindset must change first. He suggested telling ourselves "I'm getting my strength back. I'm getting my fight back."

Then calling on the Word, Jakes read Proverbs 23:7, “As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he.” AMEN AMEN AMEN

If you don't know, Gospelfest is a local talent competition between choirs, poets, steppers and praise dancers. For over 27 years this show- which grew partly from the idea of some Black operators within the McDonald’s Tri-State Owner Association, has raised millions of dollars in scholarship money for the local community. It also features a lineup of who's who in gospel music like the previously mentioned Regina Belle, Dionne Warwick, Roberta Flack, Vickie Winans, Cissy Houston, J Moss, The Kurt Karr Singers and Hezekiah Walker-who reached star status after he performed at Gospelfest with his group back in the 1990s.

Before the show, I was a part of a conference call with Dionne Warwick, who was the head liner for this year. Yours truly, didn't how to receive Ms. Warwick. On one hand I'm happy she's earning some income as her relevance to my generation is non-existent.

On the other hand I wasn't very thrilled to find out during the call that a woman who says she owes her career success completely to her relationship with the Lord decided to be a psychic getting paid big bucks for most of the 1990s. What's up with that? Then her music could be considered secular by some.

With all of those thoughts in my head, I asked Ms. Warwick: What advice would you give artists that do have a strong relationship with Christ but their songs do not necessarily fit into the Gospel regime?

"Music first of all is music and if you have a relationship with the lyrics of the music, that is the most important thing. If you’re able to share an emotion as you are singing these particular lyrics. I think that’s what God gave you the gift to do."

Whether or not singing is the gift God gave you, I hope all those reading this will identify and then pursue their purpose. I know I'm about to.

No comments:

Post a Comment